WHY AND WHEN TO CHOOSE AN INDUSTRIAL VACUUM CLEANER?
Estimated reading time: 10 min
Industrial vacuum cleaners are designed and manufactured to meet specific needs of users and particular tasks that are generally heavy to handle.
The main differences between industrial vacuums and retail models are their efficiency and sturdiness.
Industrial vacuum cleaners are characterized by their high performance and they can work continuously for long periods.
They are designed to guarantee:
- Excellent performance;
- Production efficiency at the highest level since they can work continuously for a long
time, eliminating costly machine stops;
- Reduction of costs and losses due to the long life of the machine;
- Maximum efficiency, even with thin powders, because they feature so called absolute
filters (HEPA and ULPA) that have a filtering efficiency of 99.99%;
- Maximum safety, even in potentially explosive atmospheres (ATEX zones).
What is an industrial vacuum cleaner?
The structure of an industrial vacuum cleaner is sturdy, often made of solid steel, and sometimes painted with a protective varnish. It has an engine small enough so as not to add too much on the total weight of the machine, yet can generate a considerable depression and thus guarantee a high suction efficiency. In many cases these vacuum cleaners are equipped with rubber wheels that allow them to easily follow the operator on any type of surface.
When buying or renting an industrial vacuum cleaner, it is essential to carefully evaluate the prerequisites of the job to be done:
1. Do we need to vacuum thin and /or dangerous powders and work with other tools
at the same time?
2. Do we need to vacuum hot residues / ashes?
3. Do we need to use a vacuum cleaner within healthcare environments and/or clean
4. Do we have to intervene in flooded areas and suck-up large quantities of
- Vacuum cleaners working in conjunction with other tools
Industrial vacuum cleaners can be combined with other electrical and / or pneumatic tools such as drills, sanding machines, cutting blades etc. These are generally used in construction sites, workshops and buildings during construction or renovation works.
Industrial vacuum cleaners designed for this purpose are equipped with a remote control system that allows:
- feeding the tool directly from the vacuum cleaner thanks to an additional
- automatically controlling the on /off of the vacuum cleaner from the tool in use.
The international standard EN / IEC60335-2-69 sets three classes of filtering systems based on the type of dust to be vacuumed, from very (H) to little (L) dangerous.
However, filters classified as L / M / H alone cannot guarantee the level of safety required by international standards. As a matter of fact, suction systems for IPC tools have been fully tested and certified by independent laboratories, and are equipped with other important features such as collection bags suitable for recovery and disposal, engines compatible with filtration requirements, signalling devices, and impact-resistant structure.
- Do we need to vacuum hot residues/ashes?
Industrial vacuum cleaners are essential tools both in large factories and in small workshops (such as bakeries or pastry shops).
For example, the main applications of an industrial vacuum cleaner in a small bakery workshop could be:
- general cleaning of the bakery area from waste flour. For this type of cleaning, the use of a certified ATEX vacuum cleaneris recommended, in order to comply with the safety regulations of the food industry;
- cleaning of the inner part of the oven: for this purpose, IPC has designed a line
of high temperature resistant vacuums(up to 200 ° C) for the safe suction of hot
materials and fine powders.
The very specific features they are equipped with, for instance the aluminium engine base instead of plastic, the head made with an innovative blend of materials to withstand contact with hot residues, the HEPA filter, ideal for thin dust and ashes (filters and tubes have been tested up to 200 ° C) as well as the safety handle, make these vacuum cleaners extremely effective and functional.
The heat resistant accessories and filters make it possible to quickly and safely clean ovens, without having to wait for them to cool down, thus increasing productivity.
During cleaning activities, the use of a powerful vacuum cleaner prevents dispersion of dust into the environment, thus making it healthier and more comfortable.
Last but not least, the compact and ergonomic design enhances manoeuvrability in all environments, even the narrowest areas.
To read the solutions for the points 3 and 4 and to know which vacuum cleaners are recommended in healthcare sectors and flooded areas, keep following IPC blog!